DIStickers.com Ticker

Sunday, December 19, 2010

What a weekend!

Papa and Grandma Michele sent the girls a 10 day countdown to Christmas package.  Each day they get to open a small gift.  They have really been enjoying it.  The nativity on the fridge and the tree are two of the gifts.  Nadia is also holding a heat pack that she "helped" make.
 About every 6th weekend Keith stays in Amarillo and works the weekend.  Usually Maile's respit care person (nannie or mama's helper-whichever you prefer, I call her a Godsend!) is around if I need help but this weekend she was going out of town as well.  No big deal, it is not like I can't take care of my own kids right?  Well...Thursday night Nadia woke up at two in the morning and wanted me to "put your arm on me" because she was scared.  No biggie, except I didn't go back to sleep until after 5 so that makes for a long day.  Maile was tired as well because she took awhile to go to sleep that night.  I decided we would all go to bed early, but frosty the snowman was on TV so I let Nadia watch that but I put Maile in bed.  As soon as frosty was over I was carrying Nadia upstairs when I heard Maile scream.  I put Nadia down and ran up the stairs.  Maile was sitting in the loft (this alone was a surprise because she sleeps in a big crib that she "can't" get out of). Her hair was all in her face so I smoothed it out of her face so I could see her and there was blood on my hands.  I felt myself start to freak out so I took a deep breath and reminded myself that head cuts bleed a lot, grabbed a wash cloth and put it on the general area of the cut.  Somehow I managed to get my phone, call a friend of mine to make arrangements for Nadia, and get both girls and myself in the car with the diaper bag where I keep the insurance cards. I dropped Nadia off and took Maile to a free standing ER.  Long story short, they stapled her head back together, and gave me all the things to look for in a head injury and sent me home.  From the time this happened until we were back home was right at an hour. 
 The cut is about 3/4 of an inch long.  (That is ointment in her hair-I do bathe her I promise!)
Maile did not sleep well at all!  I was glad because they said if I she was hard to wake up bring her back in.  I gave her more motrin in the night, but to say the least it was a very long night!  I finally gave up at about 5 and just got up.  I put her in the bath at 6.  She was happy but I started to get the idea that there was something more wrong.  After I got her out of the bath, I started at her feet and worked my way up pressing all over her.  When I got to her shoulder area she cried. Aha! Her clavicle was all swollen.  I called her Dr's office, they told me to take her to the Children's hospital quick care type of clinic because they don't do x-rays at the office.  Sure enough she has a green stick fracture as well.  Poor kiddo!   Of all the weekend for the babysitter and the husband to be gone!  The good news is she slept well last night and so did I!

5 comments:

Julie said...

Oh my gosh M! I can't believe that! What a weekend indeed. I bet Keith felt bad about how that worked out. I hope you can recover from this weekend soon. You need to go get a massage!

Julie said...

BTW: What is a green whatever and what do you do for it?

Jill said...

What a weekend! I'm so glad you are all doing well now!

The Houston Family said...

My understanding is that the bone bends and cracks but doesn't break, or something like that. It sure is swollen and bruised though. Nothing to do for it but try not to move it. She is keeping it pretty still. Dressing her is the hardest part.

Aimee said...

That sounds like the worst weekend! Poor girl, and poor mom! I'm so glad she's starting to feel better (and you're getting some sleep).